V2FFV2

GCCV 

VETERAN BIKERS M/C

RIDE WITH HONOR

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > My Larkspur article for June 2017 SMILE!!!

Ranger

Hello VBMC.  For those who may be new members and don't know who I am, I am RANGER.  I write a monthly column in a local news publication.  Here is the text of my latest article, which EVERYONE can adapt to their own location.

Top Five Reasons to Smile About Living Here”

The act of smiling is easily accomplished, and around here, we have plenty of reasons to smile.  According to some well-documented scientific studies, there are physiological reasons that explain why smiling is good for us.  I thought I would take one of the numerous ‘top ten’ lists and relate it to US, but I condensed it to a top 5 with a conclusion.

1. It elevates your mood.  If you are smiling, you are perceived as being happy.  How could you possibly be in a bad mood?  You could choose a hundred reasons to be a grump, but if you ask yourself if you’d rather be in a good mood or a bad mood, what would you pick?  Just think about the beautiful scenery in this area, and crack a smile!

2. Smiling is contagious.  I’m not making this up.  Just like yawning has been proven to be contagious, so is smiling.  Give it a try.  Reason #1 says it will elevate your mood, and someone just might return a smile to acknowledge you.  Then THEY will get the benefit of having an elevated mood, and YOU will have brightened someone’s day.  If you recognize a neighbor while driving, give them a wave.  It feels great to be the waver or the target.

3. Smiling makes you look caring.  This one is a no brainer.  Just go to the grocery store.  There are plenty of people who will ignore you, and you’ll forget them in an instant.  But the one who smiles at you shows that they care.  NOW—this no joke.  When I go to King Soopers in Castle Rock, they KNOW me.  Not only do they smile, but they greet me by name.  I also get a hug from Carla, the Retail Checkout Manager.  How awesome is that?

4. Smiling makes you feel good, will relieve stress, and it lowers your blood pressure.  These have been proven.  If the simple act of smiling can do all of that, you have to think that it’s worth a try.  Before we spend money on therapists, doctors, or chemical solutions, try smiling more often.  It’s FREE, and could provide huge benefits.

5. Smiling makes you look successful.  Not only that, but it will make you look younger, and more attractive.  Let’s face facts.  All of us are here for a variety of reasons, but we are HERE, and have chosen to live HERE.  Personally, I think we have made a fantastic choice.  And I congratulate the residents of this area on making that choice.

Everyone has made the choice to live here.  My story?  I grew up in Menlo Park, California.  Attended CSU in Ft.Collins and then lived in a wide variety of other places.  South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, RVN, Palo Alto, CA, San Diego CA, Denver (Bonnie Brae), Centennial, and now in Larkspur.  We’ve been here since 2006, and we aren’t going ANYWHERE else.  I told my wife to cremate me when I die, and just chuck me off the back deck.

But I’d like to be remembered as a good friend, a good neighbor, and someone who smiled and appreciated the privilege of living here.  I’m still healthy and riding my Harley cruiser, so I’ll be here for a while, but I urge all to smile more often. 

Thanks for reading VBMC.  I have to smile knowing that I have so many good brothers, sisters, and friends.  GOD has blessed me greatly, which I will NEVER forget.

June 1, 2017 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.